Saturday, April 18, 2009

We have three bird feeders on our back deck.  I love to sit in the kitchen and watch the birds come and eat.  Our usual visitors include goldfinches, tufted titmice, black-capped chickadees, and nuthatches.  We also on occasion get purple finches and woodpeckers.  There's a mangy old squirrel that has been trying to climb up onto the feeders as well.  Unfortunately, the baffle is not baffling him.  This morning when I woke up and came downstairs, there was an adorable little red squirrel sitting on the deck railing making a loud chirping noise.  I noticed it was shaking.  Saffy started growling and I saw why.  There was a big white cat with brown spots and a tiger-striped tail on the deck stalking the poor squirrel.  I've never seen this particular cat before and didn't want it to get the little squirrel.  Saffy started barking and barking with the hair on the back of her neck standing on end.  That cat stared at me as I moved toward the door.  It darted down the stairs as I opened the slider and then sat at the bottom of the stairs.  It started creeping back up when I moved to go back inside, so I fake-lunged at it and it ran away into the woods in the back yard.  Then the little red squirrel relaxed and took off into the trees in the side yard.  Me and Saffy to the rescue!  Saffy continued barking until she was sure that cat was gone.  I don't mind cats catching small animals, I know it's in their nature, I just don't want it happening on my back deck.  It's not fair to turn our bird feeders into some sort of easy-prey trap for cats.  

The rest of the day hasn't been as exciting.  I worked on cleaning my craft room and tonight we are heading over to our friends' house for a game night.  Hence the reason I am posting this early.

No comments: