Saturday, April 11, 2009

Sometimes, my mind works in mysterious ways.  Recently I was wondering if I lost a limb, depending on how much it weighed, would I still be considered overweight?  I thought that one leg would be a good option (like I would be able to choose) because I would retain my height and it would weigh more than my arms.  I brought this topic up at a knitting group and one of the other girls said she thought they probably have an adjusted BMI chart for people with missing limbs.  We just don't know about it.  They probably use body measurements, but it was an interesting thought.  Believe me when I say that I am not trying to be offensive to people with missing limbs, I just wonder.

In the same vein, last night I was talking to Patrick and I told him that his being home makes my heart smile.  In my mind, when I picture my heart smiling, it is spreading arms wide open.  Yes, I actually imagine the things I say are really happening and in this scenario, my heart has arms.  I told him about my heart arms and wondered if my heart would be able to smile if it didn't have arms.  Then I wondered if I would be able to smile if I didn't have arms.  I thought I wouldn't be able to smile immediately after I lost my arms, but maybe I would after I had time to get used to the situation.  I then started imagining life without arms.  Life without arms would be very hard.  I pictured myself eating a grilled chicken salad at the Texas Roadhouse (my thought scenarios are very specific) with the dressing on the side.  I have to be VERY specific about asking what I want on my salad because I wouldn't be able to eat around it and I wouldn't be able to dip my fork in the dressing like I usually do.  After that thought, I wondered what body modifications I could make in myself to make being armless easier and I came up with a snout and dog teeth.  I would also have to have a very strong neck so I could lift things up with my dog teeth.  I imagined myself trying to feed the birds by chewing holes in the bag of birdseed (much like Saffy does) and picking up the bag in my teeth and then shaking my head violently to scatter the seeds about.  That's about as far as I went thinking about being armless with dog teeth, but I will probably continue the thoughts at a later time.  

In not so bizarre news, Patrick and I are having a date night at Harlow's Pub in Peterborough.  We haven't been there in months and months and I have been jonesing for their chicken quesadilles with homemade vegetarian black bean refried beans.  Yum.  They also have great beer on tap, so it should be a nice time.  

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

My brain does that when I'm trying to fall asleep. The strangest things will come to mind...

Amy Lu said...

The only thing I could think of when reading your post was that if you only had one leg you would never have to worry about Second Sock Syndrome ever again!

I have 3 or 4 single socks I could send you right now....