Thursday, July 05, 2007




I learned to crochet when I was a kid in Girl Scouts. Back then I could only do one stitch and I always kept the tension too tight which made it impossible to make anything decent. I gave up on it and went on to do other arts and crafts. Recently I picked it up again. I decided that I wanted to start crocheting so I found myself some tutorials online and bought myself some cotton yarn and jumped right in. I started by just crocheting a big square with all the different stitches. I then found some crochet-a-longs on Craftster and tried a couple of granny squares. Next, I had found Crochet me magazine which is an online magazine with lots of cool patterns and I started crocheting hats and scarves. Finally, I ordered "Stitch and Bitch: The Happy Hooker" off of Amazon with a gift certificate I had and started working patterns from the book. I have made several "In Bloom" bags, three "Fat Bottom Bags" and I am currently working on the "Sweet Pea Shawl." I really like crocheting because it is something I can do while I am watching television. I am one of those people who can't just sit and stare at the TV, I have to be doing something with my hands.

What I really discovered from my venture into crocheting, is that the resources are available online (for free) for anyone who wants to teach themselves anything. You just have to look for them.

Today, I have posted photos of my first "In Bloom" bag, a "Fat Bottom Bag" which I recently finished, and the in process "Sweet Pea Shawl."

No comments: